Monday, June 13, 2016

Name That Ailment





Carolyn J. Rose

Recently I told a friend I had occasionally smelled smoke where there was none, and had looked up possible causes on the Internet. Being a medical professional, he reacted much as he would have if I’d said, “Here, hold this angry rattlesnake. Just grab it by the tail. It will be fine.”

I can’t blame him. He’s probably treated plenty of frightened people certain they have horrible diseases because of what popped up after they typed in their symptoms and set a search engine to work. He may have treated hypochondriacs for whom the Internet is a gold mine of information about ailments, diagnoses, and treatments of all types. No malady seems too obscure not to be written about somewhere by someone.

Which is, of course, both good and bad. Good, because there’s a ton of information and it’s easy to access. Bad, because it’s up to you to filter what you find. And that job isn’t a cakewalk—especially for those of us who gleaned our medical knowledge mostly from TV shows and conversations with friends and relatives.

After a minor freak-out over what I discovered smelling smoke could mean, I decided to rule out the big stuff. After all, I was about to go on a three-week vacation. How could I enjoy myself if I had a major-disease ax hanging over my head? I told myself the smoke was either my imagination or the result of a low-level sinus infection that would clear up soon. Several weeks later I noticed increasing pain in my jaw which turned out to be an abscess beneath a molar. After a course of antibiotics, the infection cleared up and the smell of smoke disappeared.

Last week I noticed flashing lights at the corner of my left eye. As soon as I could, I fired up a search engine. Ruling out the big stuff and anecdotal scare stories, I went with the aging process causing “gel” inside my eye to shrink and peel away from the retina.

 Still, recalling my friend’s recoil, I hustled to my eye doctor. When she confirmed “my” diagnosis and told me it would almost certainly heal itself, I felt the I-knew-that brand of smugness coupled with now-I-have-to-pay-for-what-I-already knew irritation.
 
 Then I set my feelings aside. After all, I could have been wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn,

    I'm finding myself afflicted with many more of these annoying little illnesses these days and I am beginning to get on my own nerves now, let alone everyone elses!

    I do try not to 'google' symptoms though, because it is quite easy to frighten myself half to death, and convince myself that I have just about every disease known to mankind!

    I'd rather not know about anything I may have wrong with me, as I am a total baby when it comes to doctors and hospitals. I don't much care for opticians either, as I have an intense fear of losing my sight and hate anyone going near my eyes with drops or any other medication.

    Now the dentist doesn't bother me half as much, although the prospect of losing a major amount of teeth as I get older, isn't a particularly inspiring thought.

    I am so pleased that your couple of scares, turned out to be exactly that and nothing more serious :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete